5200403 Strings Course
Tutor: Alex Laing
Location: Uppingham School
Intensive music coaching for musicians Grade 7 standard and above.
This course is aimed at violinists, violists, cellists and double bassists of minimum Grade 7 standard and beyond. We will focus on set chamber music repertoire, copies of which will be sent to participants one month or more before the course. Players will benefit from group lessons, as well as individual masterclasses to deal with the technical demands of their own parts. There will be sessions on chamber music skills, and the opportunity to apply them in a supportive environment. We aim to help each participant reach their highest potential in a fun and relaxed setting. The end of course concert, open to family and friends, will take place on Saturday afternoon.
Who can attend?
Any musicians playing the instruments below:
- violin (grade 7+)
- viola (grade 7+)
- cello (grade 7+)
- double bass (grade 7+)
The course is run by Alexander Laing - violin and Rebecca Leyton - cello.
Alex is Head of Strings at Uppingham School. He was educated at Cambridge University and Birmingham Conservatoire. He has extensive experience as a soloist, chamber musician, and as an orchestral leader and director. He is founder and director of the Darwin Ensemble Chamber Orchestra, and former leader of the Astaria String Quartet. He is a keen educator and enjoys working with students on all aspects of music and performance. His students can be found in the National Youth Orchestra and Children's Orchestras of Great Britain. He conducts the NCO East Region Orchestra, the NCO Training orchestra and is also an NCO violin tutor.
Rebecca is in demand as an ensemble and orchestral player. Educated at Chetham’s School of Music, the Royal College of Music, the Royal Northern College of Music and Oxford University, Rebecca has appeared in the major symphony and chamber orchestras of the UK. Her most recent recording for the Dutton label is of John McCabe’s Rainforest I and II, with the composer at the piano. Her students can be found in the National Youth Orchestra and Children’s Orchestras of Great Britain. She is a cello tutor for the NCO and teaches the cello at Uppingham School.
All participants must be at least Grade 7 violin, viola or cello.
Check List of Course Specific Items to Bring to Uppingham
Please ensure that all clothing, instruments, cases, music stand, and all other equipment are CLEARLY MARKED WITH THE STUDENT'S NAME
- Instrument (with protective case if applicable)
- Spare reeds/strings and spike holders for cellos/double basses
- Music stand
- Notebook and pencil
- Concert Dress: Boys - white shirt, dark tie/school tie, black trousers, black socks and black or dark shoes
- Concert Dress: Girls - white blouse, black trousers or skirt, black or dark shoes
- Clothing - daytime clothing should be comfortable and casual.
- Non-residential Students
- Residential Students
3.30pm on Friday 21 July at the Paul David Music School. Collection will be after the 5.00pm concert on Sunday.
- Non-Residential students. Lunch and supper are provided. Please notify us of any special dietary requirements.
- Residential students. All meals are provided. Please notify us of any special dietary requirements using the Parental Consent Form.
- There will be an end of course concert on Sunday starting at 5.00pm lasting for about one hour.